To not be rude to them and such but they’re making it really hard. The side glances and comments and what not really irritates me. Keeping it professional now. Once this is done that’s it.
1) Never assume that you’re the exception in love. You could always end up being that one in a million, but remember that it’s highly unlikely. Everyone stumbling through their affections and afflictions automatically assumes themselves to be the exception to all the rules, but you are to know better.
2) There’s nothing romantic about having your first kiss stolen from you. Maybe your head resting on his chest that Tuesday afternoon was too much of a temptation for him, but maybe he was just selfish. Because who honestly envisions sharing their first kiss with you on the couch in their parents’ library? It left a lot to be desired, and I bet that when he brought it up to all of his friends, he ‘86-ed the part about you sobbing all over his mom’s decorative pillows.
3) Even if he tells you that you’re the prettiest girl in the world, what does it matter? He may just end things with you on a whim three weeks later, and you’ll have to pick the pieces of your heart up off the couch in White Parlor.
4) If he ends it all on a Wednesday without reason and by telling you that “you’re an awesome girl” and that he’s “praying for you,” just roll your eyes as dramatically as you can. That’s really all you can do. And when he asks what he can do to soften the blow, tell him you don’t need anything from him. Doing so makes it harder for communication in the future, but you did feel pretty cool when you said it, so maybe it was worth it if it kept you from crying in his front of him in that Guy Harvey T-shirt as he walked away from all that almost was.
5) You can’t assume that this is the end of life as you know it. You’re much too old to think like that, as though anything is the end of anything else. Life circles back around, and you see it all the time. The boy you had a crush on your freshman year of high school, for instance, talks to you more now than he ever did when you lived in the same state, and the boy who hurt your heart the summer before college still likes all your profile pictures like he did nothing wrong. But you’re much stronger than you were a year ago and are coincidentally all too aware of the Creator’s hand orchestrating order in the midst of the chaos.